Saturday, June 18, 2011

NY Republican Senator Backs Gay Marriage in New York!

Progress.

Let me give a little background info first. On June 15th, the New York State Assembly passed the same-sex marriage bill for the fourth time by a vote of 80-63. Now it moves to the state's Senate where it has always died. This time, we're hoping for it to be different. Only 32 senators need to vote yes for the bill to pass and, according to new sources, 31 senators have shown support.

New York State Senator Roy McDonald made this quote:

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

Why do I want this to pass? Well, it's the right thing. But also because New York, along with Illinois, California, and Texas seem to be this country's most influential states, in my opinion. If those states can be won over, then I feel slowly but surely other states will pull through as well.

I also feel as though nationwide same-sex marriage legalization is inevitable. It will happen whether it's tomorrow or 2035. Today's young republicans are far, far more tolerant than the old farts that are in office now.

It's important to remember that although the republican party generally is against same-sex marriage, not all republicans believe that gays should not marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment