Monday, November 29, 2010

Movie Review: The Last Airbender

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Utter disappointment. But I expected it. M. Night needs to stop making movies. Seriously.

But I suppose he's not the one to blame. My biggest beef with this movie is that it was so child-oriented. I understand that Nickelodeon is the home of the TV show, but Avatar was at it's peak like 5 years ago. Those fans have grown up and I'm sure they can (a) sit through a longer movie, (b) handle mature content like violence, death, and sensual activity. Harry Potter has proven this.

I wish the movie had more of A and B. It needed to be longer to support a storyline with my substance. The movie was made for a 2 year old to understand. It really needed to go deeper.

The movie also lacked violence, death, and sexiness! The film had great action scenes, but whenever someone was defeated, they got up and ran off. Only one bad guy was shown that died. Disappointing.

Then the sensual aspect... There wasn't much love in the movie, but apparently Twilight dude and the princess had a relationship. They're relationship wasn't shown much and it didn't have much depth. If they had more screen time and if he didn't look twice her age, I would've bought it.

I was also disappointed with the acting. If it weren't for Dev Patel (the fire guy), this movie would've been a complete failure. If I were directing the movie, everyone would have british accents. You know how all movies that take place during ancient times have people with british accents (Lord of the Rings, Troy, Prince of Persia, etc.)? This movie should've fallen into that category. It would've made the actors' performances seem ten times better.

But the movie wasn't all around bad. Like I said, the action scenes were awesome. I also liked the settings and the visual effects.... although the big flying thing and the monkey were very fake looking. And Dev Patel was a bonus. He was great in Slumdog Millionaire and he was probably the best actor in this movie.

One last thing that I hated was that they set it up for a sequel. I hate it when movies do that and they don't follow through. I know it's to early to assume that they won't make it, but this movie was a failure at the box office in the US and it was a failure with the critics. Plus it brought M. Night down even further. Why would he return to make a sequel? If they actually follow through and make the planned trilogy, I will openly admit that I was wrong (trust me, that's big).

No comments:

Post a Comment