Saturday, January 1, 2011

Movie Review: TRON Legacy

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

StarStarStarNo Star
(out of four stars)

Wow. Just wow, Disney. I did not expect that to be so amazing.

I heard mixed reviews prior to seeing the movie (mostly positive) and they actually got me really excited and eager to see it.

I saw the first TRON less than a year ago and it was somewhat confusing for me. I liked it, but it was a little confusing. And it usually is confusing when you're trying to explain a new world or dimension (especially in the early 80s with premature "visual effects"). This movie helped with that. They had flashback to when things were created and how the grid came to be. Two of the actors (one of which is obviously Jeff Bridges) from the original even returned for the sequel, which I liked.

The bike scene, as predicted, was amazing, but I like how they didn't make that the most important thing in the movie. It was awesome to watch, but they got that over with within the first 30 minutes of being on the grid. There was more important things to be covered. But it's still an awesome scene.

I thought the story was good and made sense. I loved the young actors, Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund. I really liked that they made the character of Sam older (he was 27) because it made this movie seem more grown up. How typical would it have been for Disney to put some naive teenager in there. Been there done that.

The visual effects were amazing. I'll admit I did get a headache from all of the bright lights mixed with the 3D, but it was worth it. The world was just so cool and creative.

The ending was epic and I thought it was a perfect ending for this movie, although I don't feel like it opens up for sequel potential with these characters. I'm sure they could think of something though. If you don't already know, they are currently writing a TRON 3 (doubt it'll keep that title), but whats better is that it is expected to be the first movie of a new trilogy. Kinda like how On Stranger Tides is the first of a new trilogy for the Pirates saga, or Terminator Salvation was for… well, Terminator.

I can't wait. If they do it right, this series will be epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment