Sunday, January 30, 2011

Movie Review: The King's Speech

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

StarStarStarStar
(out of four stars)

Believe it or not, this movie was amazing.

I wouldn't say that it's for everyone, but I'd say it's for a true movie lover. There's no action, there's no punching, no guns, no explosions, and no sex.

The story is about King George VI and his fight to overcome a stammer. Seriously, that's it. But yet, it's such an amazing film. The movie takes place in the 1930s and we see King George's rise to the throne and how he must deal with the threat of Adolf Hitler.

The cast was phenomenal. Colin Firth deserves the Oscar, hands down. I even tried pulling off a stammer myself and I just couldn't do it compared to him. He was brilliant. Geoffrey Rush played the King's speech therapist and he also did an amazing job. This is the first movie I've seen him in where he wasn't fighting Captain Jack Sparrow. And the always lovely Helena Bonham Carter was amazing in this movie too. She played the King's wife and stood by her husband's side through it all.

I believe that all three of the actors deserve their Oscars. I wouldn't mind if this movie won Best Picture, but I'm still backing and hoping for Black Swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment