Sunday, May 15, 2011

R.I.P. Brothers & Sisters

RIP Brothers and Sisters | 2006 - 2011

We all thought it could happen and sadly it has. Last week, ABC pulled the plug on Brothers & Sisters after just finishing its fifth season.

I've been hooked on the show since the middle of the second season so am I upset about this cancellation? Yes. I'm borderline weeping. But was I one of those viewers that saw that the end was near? That would also be a yes.

So why did they actually end it?

Several things. Budget cuts is probably the biggest reason. Budget cuts led to Emily Van Camp's (Rebecca) random departure at the very beginning of season five and Patricia Wettig's (Holly) unnecessary departure a couple of episodes later. Budget cuts and storyline issues also led to the demotion of Balthazar Getty from main cast to minor recurring character beginning in season 4. What was stupid was that his character, Tommy, was one of the 5 children in the family and the show is called Brothers & Sisters.

Another reason, in my opinion, was season five's uninteresting storylines that only seemed to last a span of four episodes. Season one dealt with William's death, his mistress, and her daughter, and Ojai problems; season two had Justin's addiction problems, Kitty and Roberts's wedding, Sarah's divorce, Tommy's affair, and Ojai problems; season three featured Justin and Rebecca's relationship, Ryan, Kitty and Robert trying to have/adopt a baby, Kevin and Scotty's wedding, and Tommy trying to take back the company from Holly aka Ojai problems; and finally season four had Ryan causing trouble, Sarah landing herself a French guy, Kitty getting cancer, Kevin and Scotty trying to have a baby, Justin in medical school, Rebecca being pregnant, and - you guessed it - Ojai problems.

What did season five have? Hmm… well Nora opened the season with getting a job at a radio station but that lasted for like 5 episodes, then they stopped talking about it. Robert died and Kitty was sad for a while. Sarah and Luc's wedding storyline lasted like 2 episodes. Scotty had an affair in one episode, then, apparently, everybody forgot about it. Kevin and Scotty adopt Olivia who I didn't particularly care for. Holly lost her memory, which you'd think could last a while to try and get her memory back, but no, she left. Robert died so Kitty became alone, but then found some (who I actually really liked). Saul is HIV positive, then lands himself a boyfriend who looks like a pedophile (and is the same guy who gave him HIV). Turns out Michelle actually did have Kevin and Scotty's baby after telling them that she miscarried. That lasted like 2 episodes. Justin goes through like 3 girlfriends but they only last like 2 episodes. Then, spoiler alert, for 5 or so episodes, we question whether Sarah is actually William's child. Turns out, she's not. Major blow to fans. Then in the series season series finale, Kitty becomes pregnant.

To be completely honest, it wasn't a very drama-filled for me. There were high hopes though, particularly with Kevin and Scotty's baby, Scotty's affair, and Sarah's paternity. But I feel like they went about them all wrong.

I think what ruined the season the most for me was that Calista Flockhart aka Kitty aka my favorite character decreased her screen time at her request before the season's production even began. It was partially because Rob Lowe thought he was funny and wanted to be on Parks & Recreation (which I don't think he's a comedic actor whatsoever) so he left which gave Calista the opportunity to decreased her screen time since her storyline was a blank slate. Basically, this season was about 2 brothers and a sister since Tommy was gone. Kitty kept "going to D.C." and then when they write her in, they made stupid excuses for her. I guess I'm gonna have to watch Ally McBeal to get my Calista fix.

When season five started, I honestly knew the end was near. With Tommy, Holly, Julia, and Rebecca gone, there wasn't much for them to work with. But every series has bad seasons. *cough* This season of Family Guy *cough*. I hoped that since the show was still getting a decent amount of viewers, ABC would pick it up for one last season so they could end it properly and respectfully. No. The now-final episode could be interpreted as a series finale to someone who watches the show un-religiously. It ended on a positive note and Nora gave one of her season-finale-family-bonding speeches, but the show didn't tie up loose ends which is why I hoped for one last season. Naturally, my favorite character Kitty announces that she's pregnant with my favorite of her boyfriends Seth's child that he doesn't want and then they pull the plug. There was also Saul and Jonathan's wedding to look forward too…not really, for me though. I'm also disappointed that Sally Field's character Nora never got re-married. Yes, they ended the season with her and Beau Bridges happily together with their daughter Sarah's approval, but it was never final.

Now we need a new ABC drama that is family-friendly, gay-friendly, and busting at the seams with drama. That'll take a while. And I'm picky.

Brothers & Sisters had a great run. It was a great show that was drama-filled with sex, divorce, death, cheating, politics, family, and, of course, wine. I'm extremely disappointed to see it go and I wish it had a proper send-off. I will miss it dearly and will look back on it fondly.

Rest in Peace, Brothers & Sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment