Sunday, December 5, 2010

Movie Review: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

This movie was just as I anticipated it. I was neither disappointed nor was I impressed.

I had heard mixed reviews going into it. Most of them were positive. But I'll admit I enjoyed it.

The movie is based off the segment "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from Disney's Fantasia.

It was a good movie with great action and great comedy. And surprisingly, I didn't mind Nicholas Cage in this movie. However, I have no idea why they chose Jay Baruchel as the leading guy. He's so awkward and definitely not appealing to the eye. He did pull off some of the comedy well... I'll give him that.

I really liked Alfred Molina as the bad guy. He's just a great bad guy in general. He was amazing in Spider-Man 2 and so hilarious in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (although he flopped from good to evil to good again).

Do I think this movie has sequel potential? Yes. And honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. However, I don't think it will happen. This seemed to be a one time deal. Nicholas Cage is having money problems so he's picking up any roles in any movies. Jerry Bruckheimer puts out movies left and right to make more money (not that I don't love him). The movie was not much of a success at the box office, bringing in only $215 million after having a $150 million production budget. And finally, it wasn't so great with the critics.

Regardless, I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment