Saturday, December 4, 2010

Movie Review: Predators

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

This movie wasn't bad at all.

I've only seen the beginning of 1987's Predator with Arnold and I haven't seen 1990's Predator 2. I figured that because there was a 20+ year gap between the movies and I've seen both AVP: Alien vs. Predator movies, I would be fine skipping to the third installment.

Unlike the original two movies, 2010's Predators takes place on the apparent home planet of the creatures. This was one thing I was originally iffy about, but then I had to consider where these creatures had to have come from.

Thankfully, for the human characters, the creatures live on a planet identical to Earth, complete with water, greenery, and oxygen. In fact, it took nearly 30 minutes of the movie for them to realize they weren't on Earth, which I was fine with.

The characters were great. You hate them all at first but then they grow on you (until they start dying one-by-one, big shocker there!). Adrian Brody, in my opinion, seriously overacted in this movie. Adrain, this is a Predators sequel/series-reboot... it's going to take a lot for this movie to be Batman-huge so just chill. (And I say Batman because his voice in this movie sounded exactly like Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne when in disguise as the Caped Crusader.

The predators were awesome as usual. I enjoyed seeing them in a film that focused solely on them and they didn't need to share the limelight with the even awesomer Alien. I was able to understand what they were about more.

In the end, we find out that one of the humans in the group of outcasts is evil. Too bad that person was my favorite (but then again, that's typical).

The film ends with the final survivors still stuck on the planet determined to find a way off of it after watching as more humans fall from the sky as they did.

Sequel potential? Yes, there's a lot of potential here seeing as the characters never got off the planet. Whether the studio will follow through with another sequel, to me, is unlikely (at least for the time being). The film did average with the critics and it was decent at the box office. Producer Robert Rodriguez (SpyKids) says he would definitely be up for a sequel and Adrian Brody claims that he is somewhat interested in reprising his role. So we'll see.

Previous film: Predators 2 (1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment