Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Movie Review: Brüno

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Borat was SO 2006!

...and this movie was SO crazy!

Crazy, as in fucked up.

We all enjoyed Borat because it was so crazy. This was just as crazy, but I don't think it lived up to Borat's standard. But leave it to Sasha Baron Cohen to create yet another original character.

He plays a gay, Austrian, ex-television host that travels to Hollywood to "make it big."

Brüno and Borat both have a knack for getting into situations where their kind is not welcome. Both of them at some point end up in the South and deal with hardcore white and religious people. That's the one thing that bothers me about these movies. It reminds me how narrow-minded and intolerant people still are. This is where my stereotyping and hatred for religious folk and republicans comes in (like the scene with the gay converter who says Jesus is the right path). But, some of my friends (shout out!) are helping me become tolerant. Haha.

Anyway, that's just me. Let's get back to the movie...

Borat came out to to show audiences that we should be tolerant and understanding of other cultures whose norms are different than ours. Like, the film made us see how big of assholes Americans are. And, if you're not stubborn, you know that we are assholes. The movie made you see the true side of your own culture. Brüno does the same. However, it shows how homosexuality is viewed by our culture. And while this movie tries its hardest to do good for gay culture and try to make viewers realize that we should be accepting of that culture, I think it kind of hurts its own cause. Brüno showed the extreme femininity of gay culture. His actions, language, wardrobe are all to the extreme and people need to realize that all gays aren't like that. The macho-est men can be gay.

The movie has it laughing moments, and OMG moments. Paula Abdul is in it like Pamela Anderson was in Borat. Although, Paula is no Pam! I'm glad I saw the movie like Borat... but I don't think I'll buy it or see it again for another ten years... like Borat!

No comments:

Post a Comment