Saturday, October 30, 2010

Retro Review: Paranormal Activity

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

I was forced to watch this. I didn't want to see it. Luckily, I watched it on DVD instead of seeing it in theaters.

This movie scared the shit out of me as it did for many people. I didn't sleep much the night I saw this.

Katie is the creepiest bitch I've ever seen. She deserves an Oscar. The way she stood over Micah for hours is probably what did it for me. Then her being pulled down the staircase and being bitten. Ugh, it was terrifying.

Props to them for making out like bandits though. Spending only $15,000 to make this movie, then making $193 million at the box office. They were geniuses for coming up with this. Rumor has it the director (whose house they used to film this movie) remodeled his home extensively and then reused it as a different home for the sequel. Creative.

The ending is probably what was most terrifying. I hated that Micah died. I didn't expect Katie to become a monster and jump at the screen. Two alternate endings were shot, but I've only seen one. In the one I saw, Katie returns to the bedroom with a knife covered in blood, creepily smiles at the camera, then slits her own throat.

The third ending was the original before Paramount acquired the film and it's only available to view on the internet. In it, Katie returns to the bedroom with the bloodstained knife, sits on the bed then rocks back and forth for two days. Katie's sister comes but we don't see her, she see Micah's body then runs out of the house screaming. The police arrive and Katie comes out of the room where there is a "heated argument" and the door behind the officer slams shut causing the officers to shoot Katie.

I like the second and third. At least they would imply that that bitch is dead and I wouldn't have to see another Paranormal Activity movie. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment