Saturday, September 18, 2010

Retro Review: The Great Mouse Detective

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Probably one of Disney's most underrated animated films.

This movie actually used to scare me so much, but I still enjoy it.

Released in 1985, then re-release in 1992, this film sort of spoofs Sherlock Holmes and I realize that more now that Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes has been made. You can see the major similarities between Sherlock and Basil, most notably their knack for observation, assumption, and interconnecting clues. (Plus I also read that "Basil" is one of Sherlock's aliases.)

Now that I'm much older, I understand a lot more of the movie. Such as the plot. When I was younger, I just watched this for the thrill and the animation. But now I understand what actually is going on. I understand the clues and how they are connected to one another. And I can understand what Basil says (he talks very quickly).

The bad guy, Professor Ratigan, is a great villain. He's smart, vile, heartless, and smooth. The real bad guy that used to scare the shit out of me was his side kick, Fidget, a peg-legged bat. Don't laugh. He continuously pops out of everywhere in this movie and his creepy face takes up the whole screen. Scary.

The climactic scene inside and outside of Big Ben is awesome! They actually used CGI to create the complex clock's interior. Pretty cool for 1985. And I love how crazy mad Ratigan goes. He's very terrifying.

If you haven't seen this movie in a long while like me, re-watch it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more.

And while you watch, be sure to listen to the toy maker's voice. It's Scrooge McDuck!

And if you're wondering, the poster I posted is not the original poster for the movie. The one I've posted is the one for the 1992 re-release.

No comments:

Post a Comment