Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Movie Review: Shaun of the Dead

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Like I was with my recent viewing of the Book of Eli, I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this movie.

I thought it was going to be stupid funny, but it really wasn't. I liked that the comedy was not over the top (I didn't laugh for the first time til about 30 minutes in). I also liked that the comedy was integrated into the drama and what I mean by that is I liked how the comedy in this film was nothing like that in a Scary Movie movie. I expect stupid-funny and I'm glad that this wasn't.

This movie was a lot like Zombieland in the aspect that it was meant to be taken seriously while being a hilarious comedy. The one difference between the zombies in this movie and the ones in Zombieland is that those in Zombieland were faster. The zombies in this movie were so slow and the characters were able to stand there and discuss and plan while the zombies were still walking towards them. I'm not saying that I enjoyed one more than the other, it was just an observation I made.

I also enjoyed watching the British culture. I always find that interesting. Like when they said that another character was "engaged" when they meant the line was busy. And then the typical "loo," "fag," driving on the right side of the car, driving on the left side of the road, etc.

Simon Pegg also won me over. I wasn't much of a fan of his, but I really liked him in this.

It's a great movie and I'm disappointing in myself for just seeing now. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment