Saturday, October 16, 2010

Movie Review: The Book of Eli

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

I was shocked.

Shocked!

I was amazed by how much I liked this movie. Because of it's religious agenda (or so I thought), I was expecting to hate it. But it wasn't pushing Jesus as much as I thought it would.

The movie is about a man, Eli (Denzel), who travels alone in a post-apocalyptic setting carrying and protecting a book. Meanwhile, Kingpin Carnegie, is the leader or king of a small town and has his goons out searching for the book that Eli is carrying.

What's interesting about the movie is how the world ended. They never flat out say what happened. You pick up on little things in the dialogue. Something happened with the ozone and they refer to the incident as "the flash." Many people were blinded because of it. Anyways, I like and don't like that they didn't say what happened. You don't necessarily need to know what happened, but I'm just the type of person that needs to know.

Love Mila Kunis. She actually made this movie for me. Hell, she makes every movie for me. She's just so gorgeous. She plays the daughter of Carnegie's blind wife or mate or bitch (they never say what she is to him).

I was surprised by the amount of gore and blood was in this movie. I did not anticipate or expect that. One minute Eli looks like he's going to get his ass kicked, next minute he's chopping off peoples heads and they're all rolling around on the floor. It was crazy. But I enjoyed the action.

The major twist at the end was nice. I never expect those and everytime they happen, I'm blown away as if I've never seen that happen before. But with this movie and his situation [[he's blind the entire time]], I don't see how that could possibly happen.

It's a great movie. No disappointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment