Saturday, October 23, 2010

Movie Review: Se7en

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

What a great movie!

I purchased this movie before actually seeing it because it was super cheap, but I put off watching it because I don't handle serial killer movies very well. But this one was great.

Every serial killer movie has a serial killer with a certain pattern. This one's serial killer killed in the name of the seven deadly sins. I don't didn't know anything about the seven sins so I found that interesting.

Morgan Freeman stars as the veteran detective and Brad Pitt is the rookie. I enjoyed them both thoroughly although I found Morgan Freeman's Along Came A Spider performance to be a repeat of his performance in this film. But whatever. I still enjoyed them. It made me appreciate Brad Pitt more as well.

I'm not much of a fan of Kevin Spacey, but I can see why he was chosen as "John Doe." There was something creepy and eerie about him.

And Gwyneth. I love her and I enjoyed her obviously. But I think with this movie, my love for her comes at a terrible price...

Before talking more about the ending (hint, hint), I want to talk about the goriness of this film. This movie was released in 1995 and I feel like this was the 90s version of the Saw series. I mean screwing a hooker with a knife dildo? That's sick. That's even beyond Saw. That's just... awful.

The ending was brilliant, yet terrible and predictable. I was disappointed because I predicted it. Usually, I'm an idiot when it comes to putting things together, but I actually saw this coming. The brilliant aspect of it was that the final two sins were to be played out "live" as I expected it to. What happened to Gwyneth was brutal. My problem is that I get too attached to characters. If I were to see this back in 1995 and Gwyneth wasn't the success that she is today, I probably wouldn't have been so hooked on her.

Brad's performance after learning his wife's head was in a box nearby was memorable. I kept praying that he wouldn't pull the trigger on Kevin Spacey, but he did. That's what I have to deal with now. Haha.

I read that there were two alternate endings. In both scenarios, Gwyneth still dies, but in one Brad's character dies, and in another Morgan's character shoots Kevin Spacey before Brad gets a chance to. I guess the one they went with was the best... although Gwyneth still dies...

Regardless of my hatred for the end, it was an amazing movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment