Sunday, October 31, 2010

Movie Review: Freddy vs. Jason

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Everybody loves a pointless slasher film.

I just watched this because there was nothing else on TV and, to be honest, I was amused. It kept me entertained for a while.

This is the first Freddy movie I've seen with the original Freddy played by Robert Englund and the first Jason movie I've seen... ever! So I was a little confused with the Jason side of the story because I don't know those movies very well. I just know that he doesn't die like Michael Myers and his story revolves around some camp and he drowns or something.

Regardless, I was still entertained. To some this may be a pointless, recycled, unnecessary, desperate-for-money slasher film but I rather like the story they used to bring these two characters together. It's not an easy task merging two completely different killers from completely different movie series. I thought it was a good story to bring them together.

The ending kind of blew because there was no definite winner. The story makes it seem like the kids trying to help Jason over Freddy, but in the end, they have to get rid of both of them. The title really should've been Freddy vs. Jason vs. Elm Street's Kids. Haha. Because the kids end up being the winners.

At the very end, when Jason rises out of the water carrying Freddy's head is okay. It opens up the opportunity for a sequel, but when you don't make one, the ending is kind of pointless.

In AVP: Alien vs. Predator, the predator ends up being the winner, but at the very end, the alien emerges from the inside of a predator, which makes it seem like both sides kind of won and they left an opportunity for a sequel (which they followed through with).

Anyways, this wasn't an amazing movie, but it kept me amused for an hour and a half. Whatever. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment