Sunday, April 18, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I was going through my old blog and was about to delete it, when I found this. So I copied it over to my new blog. May be a tad outdated and my opinion may have changed, but enjoy.

This entry will contain spoilers from the new film and the book series.

I honestly don't know where to start. I told myself I had to see the movie twice before I judge it. Walking out of the theater, I was indifferent. I had just reread the book version prior to see the movie and that was the first time I did that. I always say I will but never actually do. I think if I hadn't reread the book before seeing the movie, I think I would've been happier with it. I wouldn't have remembered everything that happened and I'd think that the movie copied the book.

Okay, so the first time I saw it (which was at midnight), I was disappointed. I had expected so much more. It's my second favorite book in the series (behind Prisoner of Azkaban). The second time I saw it, it was much better. It seemed less jumpy between scenes which was a major problem for me originally.

I was disappointed that they cut out scenes, people, and things that I found important. I really wish they included Dumbledore's funeral. Interviews reveal that they replaced the funeral with the scene where Dumbledore's lying on the ground and they light they're wands. I admit that I enjoyed that little memoir, but it didn't replace the entire last chapter of the film. I also really wish they would've battled at the castle. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing Maggie Smith as McGonagall kicking ass. Haha.

I don't like that Scrimgeour was not in it when I think he should've been introduced. But I also see why they wouldn't want to pay Bill Nighy a lot of money for a 4 minute scene. With that said, I do like what they did for winter break. Since Scrimgeour was cut and he was the only significant thing that happens over holiday in that book I understand that they needed to fill that void with something big. So, after a while, I came to approve of the Burrow scene.

I love that Ginny was in it as much as she was. I also love the fact that Harry did not break up with her in the end of the film. It'll make it more romantic for the next movie. And Ron and Hermione were very cute. And Lavender was as annoying as she was in the book, plus she was funny. McLaggen angered me. What a cocky asshole.

Problems with Dumbledore however. I thought it was very... hmmm... inappropriate to make so many digs at his sexuality. Some of the things he did and things he said made him seem less of the amazing and powerful wizard he is supposed to be. Why did he ask to use the loo? Dumbledore doesn't pee!! He's Dumbledore! He has people pee for him. Lol. I don't know. It just seemed very out of character for him.

I feel like there was little explanation of the ring. They just showed it and expected people to know the story behind it. I feel they could've showed a little to it. The memory I mean. Or simply sat there and explained it. Maybe it'll be a deleted scene or something.

I would've been completely fine with it being a three and a half hour movie. I just want it all represented. But all in all I loved it. Even if it was the shittiest movie on earth, I'd stand by it because it is Harry Potter. Haha. Fantastic movie.

Previous Film: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment