Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Movie Review: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Last night, Erik and I rented The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, aka Heath Ledger's last movie and I must say it was really good. I think I enjoyed it mostly because I had absolutely no idea what was going on. While we were watching it, I even made the comment, "I'm kinda liking this movie." But it was such an odd movie and it was hard to understand right off the bat.

Starting now, I really mean what I said in regards to spoilers. Like I'm gonna blow it all right here...

Replacing Heath Ledger after he died with Colin Farrell, Johnny Depp, and Jude Law was kinda genius. At first I didn't really understand their choices. But they all resemble him with make up on. It's kinda scary. You can tell when Jude Law is playing him and when Colin is playing him. But Johnny, in my opinion, could be his twin because they both have the same voice going on. In one shot, while Heath's character is in the "Heath" form, I swear it's Johnny Depp sitting there. They look that much alike with the eyeliner on.

I liked how whenever Heath went into the Imaginarium, he would change into one of the other actors and that's just what the Imaginarium does to him. No explanation required. It surprised me to see how much he filmed before he died. It seemed like everything was filmed EXCEPT for the scenes the 3 others had to film.

But look at me going on and on about Heath and not the movie. I figured I would. The movie is very hard to understand at first and even when it's over you're still going WTF. But I would recommend it. I'd say 3/5 stars. :/ Before you watch it, understand that you're going into a fucked up movie. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment