Friday, April 16, 2010

Remake the Wizard of Oz? Absolutely not!

We all know that the movie industry is running out of material. I mean, they made a sequel to Steve Martin's Pink Panther. You could easily name ten. Here's the test. Name ten remakes in 15 seconds (I'll give you five more seconds that you actually need). GO!

1. ______________________________
2. ______________________________
3. ______________________________
4. ______________________________
5. ______________________________
6. ______________________________
7. ______________________________
8. ______________________________
9. ______________________________
10. _____________________________

I came up with Cheaper by the Dozen, When a Stranger Calls, The Pink Panther, Friday the 13th, Halloween, The Day the Earth Stood Still, King Kong, Planet of the Apes, War of the Worlds, and The Wizard of Oz. What? The Wizard of Oz is not a remake you say? Hmm. Well, currently, many studios are working on scripts for a revamped Oz. Disney is one of them.

According to IMDb.com (aka Movie Heaven), Dark Oz (2010), The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (2011), Oz: The Return to Emerald City (2012), and Oz (2013) are all in the works.

I'm sorry, that's a line you do not cross. You cannot, absolutely CANNOT remake such a classic film. That's like remaking Casablanca, Schindler's List, or the Godfather. You just don't do it. It can't be touched. You can rerelease it into theaters or maybe reformat it for 3D, but you don't remake it. Disney is currently remaking 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. That's fine. Not many people have seen that movie, me included. I think it would be a great remake. But everyone's seen The Wizard of Oz.

However, after seeing Wicked: The Musical, I strongly believed (and still do) that if it were made into a motion picture correctly, it would be a Best Picture winner.

Anyways, I think remaking The Wizard of Oz is a huge mistake. Obama should make such a thing illegal! Lol. I'M NOT KIDDING! :)

Side-note: Disney wants to remake Honey, I Shrunk the Kids also. THAT PISSES ME OFF. I LOVE THAT MOVIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment