Thursday, May 20, 2010

Movie Review: Robin Hood

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Technically, this is like a prequel to Robin Hood. Kind of.

I didn't have that much interest in seeing this movie, but it was something to see.

I heard and read nothing but bad things about it and during the first hour of the movie, I'd agree with those critics. It was slow-paced and I have such trouble following movies like this! With their medieval English accents and terminology... it's hard for me to keep up. This also the first time I ever saw a movie like that in theaters.

I'm also not that familiar with the real story of Robin Hood. I only know what I've learned from Disney's animated version of Robin Hood and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And I know the 'robs from the rich and gives to the poor' schtuff.

Which brings me to my first point: he doesn't do that. It doesn't follow the traditional story of Robin Hood. He isn't an outlaw... yet. That's what makes it a prequel. At the end of the movie, he goes into hiding and Prince King John is having him hunted. Which is why I think it wasn't properly titled. It should've been Robin Hood Begins, The Legend of Robin Hood, Robin Hood: The Rise of the Merry Men. Haha.

Needless to say that this movie sets up for a sequel that better be made.

The epic battle in the end wasn't as good as it could've been. I felt like I was watching Saving Private Ryan and the French were storming Normandy with their WWII-like boats. Right? Right? And the battle was anti-climatic. Robin and the army rode into the battle as the French were arriving via boats. So there was no waiting for the enemy or planning a strategy. They kind of just went at it, which was unusual, however, it worked for this movie in a way.

Russel Crowe was his typical, lame, badass self. Gladiator 2! Haha. And Cate Blanchett was her usual medieval self too. Old movies like this were made for these two actors.

It's a good movie. It's rather long though. I'd suggest seeing it when it's on DVD. It's buyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment