Monday, June 14, 2010

Movie Review: The Hurt Locker

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

I must say that I expected more, but I was satisfied at the same time.

I'm always confused when it comes to some Best Picture winners. When I go into watching a Best Picture Oscar winner, I expect to feel blown away when the credits start rolling at the end of the movie. I want it to get me to think. I want my adrenaline to pump. I want it to make me want to watch it over and over again. An example of a movie that doesn't do this, No Country For Old Men. Yes, that movie does make my adrenaline pump... Yes, I bought the movie... Yes, I did somewhat enjoy it... But after watching it, the only thing I thought was "what the fuck just happened?," "what kind of ending is that?"

Then I think, what criteria does the Academy have for best Best Pictures? Why did this movie beat Avatar? I found Avatar to be more entertaining and to actually have a story (although it's just Pocahontas in space).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie. It was very intense. But I didn't think it had much of a story. We follow three soldiers around as they dismantle bombs. That's pretty much it. And then, the movie just ends. I just don't get movies like that. But I still found it entertaining. I'm in an awkward place with the movie. I will buy it though. Haha.

I LOVED(!) Jeremy Renner. He deserved that Oscar nod! I'm wouldn't go as far as to say he deserved the Oscar (because I haven't seen Crazy Heart) but he deserved the nod. I really hope he makes more mainstream films! And I'm glad Kathryn Bigelow beat her ex-husband, James Cameron, for Best Director. It's time a female won.

I'd recommend seeing the movie, but don't go into it expecting to be blown away. That's all I gotta say!

No comments:

Post a Comment