Saturday, July 31, 2010

Movie Review: Terminator Salvation

Warning: May contain spoilers. You've been warned.

Let the Terminator reviews begin. Why I'm starting with the latest one? I have no idea.

So let's begin...

The Story:

I enjoyed the story. I thought it was creative and I did not see this hybrid Terminator story coming. I pretty much foll
owed all of the production news until its release and I didn't find much on the story because it was so under-wraps. But, in my opinion, it turned out great. Many people don't agree, but I loved it.

The Actors:

Sam Worthington is probably the biggest rising star of today. Terminator, Avatar, and Clash of the Titans all within a year. Interestingly enough, James Cameron created the Terminator and director the first two films and then Sam Worthington starred in this and also starred in Avatar which James also direct. I wonder what Terminator-like conversations they had.

Christian Bale as John Connor... I wasn't sure about it when I first heard that he would
portray the post-apocalyptic leader and I'm still kind of indifferent about it. I guess I'll deal. Personally, I think he over acts.

I loved the ladies in this movie. Kate Connor, portrayed by Bryce Dallas Howard, and Blair Williams, portrayed by Moon Bloodgood. I enjoyed both of them. Bryce Dallas Howard is gorgeous with red hair (I really hated her blonde in Spider-Man 3). And I love this new character Blair... I hope her character sticks around for the remainder of the series.

And finally comments on Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese. He was perfectly cast. I can totally see him growing into Michael Biehn. Loved him.

The Filming:

So McG directed this film. And people hate him apparently. I even heard some boycotted this film solely because he directed it. He also directed Charlie's Angels and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle which is more of a comedic action movie. This one is more action and I think he did a great job.

If you haven't heard Christian Bale's on-set rant, then click here. It's worth a listen. I admit, I hate Christian Bale a little more because of this. What an ass. It also gave the movie bad publicity.

Arnold's "cameo" was not half bad. You can tell that he was CGI, but DAMN! He was pretty damn realistic!

The References to Previous Terminators:

This movie does a great job of referring to the earlier Terminators. Here are some of the ones I caught (or related to the other movies):

-The Terminator Head Turn: Whenever a Terminator gets punched or hit (whether it's Arnold, the T-1000, TX, or the T-800 as an exoskeleton) they slowly turn their head back to the center.
-Shots of the T-800 exoskeleton walking up the stairs as seen in the first Terminator.
-Music: The dun dun dun dun dun-dun. Lol. Obviously that came back, but not as much as I wanted it to. Also, when John Connor is trying to capture the motoTerminator, he plays the song he plays while riding his motorcycle in the second one to get the motoTerminator's attention.
-"Come with me if you want to live."
-"I'll be back." I liked that John Connor said it this time.
-John Connor uses the tapes that his mom made for him in the first one.
-They try to use molten lava to destroy the T-800.

The Future of the Series:

What sucks about this series is that it is sooo spaced out. 1984 -> 1991 -> 2003 -> 2009 and now they don't know when the next one will be released. The rights to the films keep floating around everywhere and being sold off. This movie was supposed to be the first in a new trilogy and I'm concerned that it won't end up turning out that way.

Another concern of mine is whether the actors will stick around. I hate that the characters keep changing. I'm good with this cast. I'm tired of John Connor changing. We've been through 6 Johns as it is (including those from the TV series) and after Bale's rant I'm afraid he won't want to return. Anton Yelchin, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Moon Bloodgood are the ones I want to come back the most. The only thing is that Anton needs to age a little more before he gets sent back in time (to the first film).

If they could work it out somehow... I'd like Sam Worthington to come back too. But more than likely they won't or he won't want to return because he's a bigger star now.

Terminator Salvation Overall:

I loved this movie. I suggest seeing the Director's Cut. Definitely a movie, in my opinion, worthing of the Terminator name! :)

Check out this fan-made trailer I made before the movie was released when the title was still "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins."

No comments:

Post a Comment