Friday, July 9, 2010

Beauty and the Beast is coming again!

I knew Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast was making a return to living rooms across America, but what I wasn't sure was in what way. Because of this stupid limbo area between DVD and Blu-ray that we're in, I wasn't positive if it would be released on DVD or just Blu-ray or on DVD and Blu-ray or in a DVD-Blu-ray combo pack. Good news, it's coming back in all three ways. The iffy part is the DVD-Blu-ray combo pack...

As a DVD collector, I'm very extremely picky when it comes to the conditions and looks of my DVD cases. For example, I would buy a crappy movie in the 2-Disc Edition (like Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer), which is more expensive than the single-disc, if the cover art is prettier. That's right, I bought Rise of the Silver Surfer at about $25. Who does that? That movie sucked. Something's wrong with me.

Anyways, Disney has gotten into the habit of releasing "Diamond Editions." So far Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the only film to be released in a Diamond Edition with Beauty and the Beast being the next in October, followed by Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 in December, and Bambi and The Lion King set for next year.

Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, and The Little Mermaid are also Platinum Disney movies that will all be released in a Diamond Edition by 2016. Did you notice that Aladdin, also being a Platinum Disney movie, is not included in that list? I don't know why, but it is not planned to be a Diamond Edition and there is no plan for it's rerelease at the present time. I've searched everywhere and can't find out why. If you know, then please let me know.

I'm sorry. I keep getting sidetracked and spewing random information at you...

Disney is an evil, evil company. They hold so much power with their movies and the Disney Vault. How mean. If I want to buy Aladdin on DVD right NOW, I'll have to do so on eBay because platinum edition movies are only released by Disney once every 10 years for a limited time. Evil. With the invention of Blu-ray, Disney has begun releasing the Diamond Edition which includes a DVD copy of the film and a Blu-ray copy. That's fine. But that's the only way to get the movie. They menacingly will release the 2-Disc DVD version of the movie a month and a half after the Diamond Edition. They're just trying to make people pay $29.99 for the Diamond Edition before they release the $22.99 2-Disc DVD version. Plus, I think they're trying to covert people to Blu-ray, which I don't support.

Okay, if they want to release a Diamond Edition and then the 2-Disc nearly two months later then fine, but the Diamond Editions are also evil for DVD collectors like myself. The Diamond Editions thankfully are released in two different cases: the Blu-ray packaging and the DVD packaging. You know how Blu-ray movies come in the blue cases that are smaller and thinner than regular DVD cases? That's what they mean by 'packaging.' I'm so happy that the movie will be released like the Snow White Diamond Edition in the DVD packaging. All I want is the case to look like all the rest of my DVDs in my collection. So there, I had something nice to say about Disney.

Thank you for listening to me bash Disney and their evil ways.

Beauty and the Beast's Diamond Edition is set for an October 5th release and the 2-Disc will be released November 23rd.

Also... and more importantly...

Beauty and the Beast will be rereleased into theaters in 3D in 2011!

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment